“Hidden Figures” pulled off a major upset Sunday evening, winning the Best Cast in a Motion Picture at the Screen Actors Guild Awards.
The film, starring Taraji Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae and Kevin Costner, beat out other front runners such as “Moonlight,” “Fences” and “Manchester by the Sea.” As a result, “Hidden Figures” now has a bit more momentum going into the Oscars race.
The full list of winners from Sunday was:
- Best Cast: “Hidden Figures.”
- Best Actor: Denzel Washington for “Fences.”
- Best Actress: Emma Stone for “La La Land.”
- Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali for “Moonlight.”
- Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis for “Fences.”
Two other surprises at the SAG ceremony was Stone winning over Natalie Portman, who starred in “Jackie” and Washington beating Casey Affleck, who gave a performance in “Manchester by the Sea.” Going forward, the Academy race for the acting categories is likely to get even closer.
Potentially more impactful for the Oscars race, though, was the Producers Guild of America Awards, which took place Saturday. In the end, the PGA selected “La La Land” as its winner.
The winners include:
- Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Picture: Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz and Marc Platt for “La La Land.”
- Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Picture: Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow for “O.J.: Made in America.”
- Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Picture: Clark Spencer for “Zootopia.”
The importance of the PGA win comes from the fact that many of the victors at that ceremony go on to snag the Best Picture at the Oscars. For example, from 2007-2014, the PGA winner took home Best Picture.
This coming weekend awards season will roll on as the Directors Guild of America will announce its annual winners and the Annie Awards for best in animation will also take place.
At the box office, meanwhile, it was “Split” taking the top spot, earning more than $26 million over the weekend.
The full top five this weekend was:
1. Split – $26,268,685
2. A Dog’s Purpose – $18,386,020
3. Hidden Figures – $14,000,000
4. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter – $13,850,000
5. La La Land – $12,050,000