The final week of award season started last night with “Moonlight” getting some much deserved recognition from the Writer’s Guild of America.
The coming-of-age film earned the guild’s award for Best Original Screenplay at the ceremony, adding to its accolade count which already includes a Best Screenplay win from the Gotham Awards. The sci-fi film “Arrival,” meanwhile, took home the award for Best Adapted Screenplay.
Oddly enough, the two films will actually go head-to-head on Oscar night as both have been nominated for Adapted Screenplay by the Academy. As a result, the race for Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars will likely be between “Manchester by the Sea” and “La La Land.”
Another note on last night’s WGA ceremony is that it was the final award event before the Academy closes its voting procedure tomorrow evening. From then on, it will truly be a case of wait and see.
The Academy Awards will be on ABC on Sunday at 6 p.m., a day after the Independent Spirit Awards are held on Saturday at 4 p.m. on Independent Film Channel (IFC).
At the box office, meanwhile, it was “The LEGO Batman Movie” raking in the cash again, earning $34 million. The finish was well ahead of the second place finisher, “Fifty Shades Darker.”
The full top five of the weekend was:
1. The LEGO Batman Movie – $34,225,000
2. Fifty Shades Darker – $20,966,845
3. The Great Wall – $18,079,140
4. John Wick: Chapter Two – $16,500,000
5. Fist Fight – $12,015,000
On the home video front, people can get some last minute award season watching out of their way as some nominees get put to the small screen. Coming out this week includes:
- Manchester by the Sea, ATMR Rating: 5 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 96%, ATMR Top 10 of 2016
- Hacksaw Ridge, ATMR Rating: 4.7 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 86%, ATMR Top 10 of 2016
- Nocturnal Animals, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 73%
- Bad Santa 2, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 23%