Walt Disney Studios, and its associated properties such as LucasFilm and Marvel, will preview what’s to come at its D23 Expo this week.
According to a press release from the company, this year’s D23 will take place in Anaheim from July 14-16 with multiple movie presentations in the lineup.
The first major presentation will be Friday afternoon and will provide information on upcoming films from Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. The presentation will include footage from Pixar’s upcoming feature “Coco” and Disney Animation’s “Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2.” Additionally, surprise announcements and appearances by voice talent is planned.
The other major event will take place Saturday morning, with presentations lined up for Disney, Marvel Studios and LucasFilm. The press release states that new footage and surprise star appearances are expected. While nothing more has been released on what will be shown, it’s possible that trailers for the new “Star Wars” and/or “Avengers: Infinity War” could be released.
Other events lined up for D23 include:
- The Power of the Princess: A panel featuring voice actresses including Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Anika Noni Rose (Tiana) and Auli’I Cravalho (Moana). The actresses will share behind-the-scenes stories from the filmmaking process.
- Two presentations featuring Pixar production designers and artists who will give examples of how the films are brought to life.
- A celebration of “The Lion King,” featuring Producer Don Hahn, Director Rob Minkoff and animators Tony Bancroft and Mark Henn.
- Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the release of “Bambi.”
Additionally, the Expo will have an entire pavilion set up for Marvel Studios, featuring costumes and props from “Thor: Ragnarok” along with opportunities to meet with filmmaking teams.
D23 isn’t the only place where Marvel is having something on display. At this past weekend’s box office, it was the Marvel co-production with Sony “Spider-Man: Homecoming” taking the top spot with $117 million.
The full top five from the weekend was:
1. Spider-Man: Homecoming – $117,015,000
2. Despicable Me 3 – $33,998,875
3. Baby Driver – $12,750,000
4. Wonder Woman – $10,135,000
5. Transformers: The Last Knight – $6,300,000
Releasing next weekend, meanwhile, is the sequel “War for the Planet of the Apes” and the horror flick “Wish Upon.”
For the smaller screen, home video releases include:
- The Fate of the Furious, ATMR Rating, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 66%
- The Lost City of Z, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 88%
- Their Finest, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 87%
- Smurfs: The Lost Village, Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 37%